Monday, October 20, 2008

White Chocolate-Macademia-Pretzel Bars

Oh man these cookie bars were AMAZING! I took them to work on Saturday night and my co-workers went through almost the whole pan! I had 3 people ask for the recipe, so I would say that they were successful.




White Chocolate-Macademia-Pretzel Bars
Source: Pillsbury

Ingredients:
1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookies
1 bag (12 oz) white chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped pretzel sticks or twists
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (9 oz)
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup chopped cashews (I used macademia nuts)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13x9in pan with cooking spray. Break up cookie dough into pan. With floured fingers, press dough evenly in bottom of pan to form crust. Sprinkle 1 cup of the white chocolate chips and the pretzels over dough; lightly press into dough.
2. Bake 16-20 min or until light golden brown. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 30 minutes.

3. In small microwaveable bowl, place 1/4 cup of the white chocolate chips; set aside. In large microwaveable bowl, microwave remaining white chocolate chips and the semisweet chips on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. If necessary, microwave 30 seconds longer. Stir in peanut butter and cashews. Spread mixture evenly over cooled baked crust. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes. (It took mine over 30 minutes to set completely)
4. Microwave reserved 1/4 cup white chocolate chips on high for 30 seconds; stir until melted and smooth. If necessary, microwave 10 seconds longer. (I added a few drops of vegetable oil to thin out the chocolate and make it easier to pour) Drizzle over bars. Let stand until set, about 10 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. (I did 5x6 rows)



Overall these were so so good, but very rich! I ate two and got a stomachache, but that was probably a good thing because any more and I would have been at the gym for hours working them off! One thing I might change is to make my own sugar cookie dough from scratch instead of the premade kind, just because I am not the hugest fan of the taste of the Pillsbury sugar dough, but it was a very good shortcut that made these super easy to put together.


No comments: