Thursday, October 23, 2008

Kevin's Birthday Brownies

Kevin's birthday is tomorrow and originally, he had asked me to make him German chocolate cake for his birthday. Then, we ended up scheduling our cake tasting for the wedding (!!!!) for tomorrow. I asked him if he still wanted a birthday cake even though we were going to be cake tasting and he said no, he wanted some brownies instead that he could take to work today (his work is sweet and gives you your birthday as a paid day off). In the past I have made plenty of brownies from the box mixes, but I wanted to try making them from scratch this time.


Baker's One Bowl Brownies
Source: Baker's Chocolate box

Ingredients:
4 squares Baker's Unsweetened baking chocolate
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (I omitted)
I also added some Wilton Halloween sprinkles on top.


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13x9-inch baking ban with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Grease foil. (I didn't use foil and just sprayed the pan with cooking spray)
2. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high for 2 min., or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add flour and nuts; mix well. Spread into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. (Do not overbake.) Cool in pan on wire rack. Remove brownies from pan, using foil handles. Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container.


I haven't tried one yet, but it seems like they were a hit because I got this text message from Kevin a little while ago: "Brownies are amazing!" I asked him to save me one for later and he replied "Good luck everybody is eating them all." Hopefully I will get to try one when we both get home from work tonight, but if not that just gives me an excuse to make another batch!


No comments: