Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thai Peanut Sauce

I made this tonight in preparation for tomorrow's dinner, Thai Chicken Pizza. I was planning on just buying a jar of the stuff, but when I looked at Kroger it cost over $6, so I decided to try making it instead. I already had peanut butter and soy sauce so I figured I would just google for a recipe. That I did, and I came up with this recipe from Cooking with Amy.

Perfect Peanut Sauce
Source: Cooking with Amy

1/4 cup peanut butter (natural, no sugar kind) (I only had the regular kind so I used that)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar (I used a bit less than this since my peanut butter had sugar in it)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup coconut milk (lite is fine, if you prefer or substitute water)
1/4 cup water
red chili flake to taste
chili garlic sauce to taste or 1 clove crushed garlic

Optional:
sesame oil
curry paste
rice wine vinegar
fish sauce
grated ginger
shallots sauteed till brown in oil
Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients with a whisk in a small bowl, adding the water last. Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Experiment with this sauce adding a teaspoon at a time of one of the optional additions and tasting as you go. Serve hot or cold.


I ended up adding a splash of rice vinegar and sesame seed oil to my sauce, and a dash of ground ginger. It smelled and tasted great, so I am hopeful for tomorrow's pizza! I will try to get a picture tomorrow night.

No comments: