Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Quick Candied Yams

Since Kevin and I spent Christmas with just the two of us this year, I didn't go all out on the menu. We got some sliced ham from Heavenly Ham, and I served it with corn, peas, and these yams. (Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures, again!) It was a very nice day and it was the first time we had spent all of Christmas day together with just us. Like the title of the recipe implies, they are quick, easy, and tasty! I reduced the sugar because we don't like them to be overly sweet. I also added some cinnamon and nutmeg because I love those flavors together!

Quick Candied Yams
Adapted from the recipe on the side of the Bruce's Yams can

1 can Bruce's Yams (the medium size can)
2 TB butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup syrup from the can
Sprinkle of cinnamon to taste
Sprinkle of nutmeg to taste

Place Yams in a shallow baking dish. Combine syrup from can, sugar and butter in saucepan, stirring to boil to thicken. Pour sauce over Yams. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake in 350° oven for 20 to 30 minutes, basting frequently.

No comments: