Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dr. Pepper Peanut Brittle

I found this recipe and thought it looked pretty simple. I was also wanting something else to go with all the holiday cookies I was making, so I decided to give it a go. I think my parents ate almost the whole batch themselves, and my mom especially loved it! It was quite easy and the cayenne adds an unexpected kick, so if you don't like sweet and spicy together than I would reduce this amount, or just omit it.



Dr. Pepper Peanut Brittle

Source: Homesick Texan, originally adapted from Cooking with Dr. Pepper and 7-Up

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups of sugar
3/4 cups of butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
1/4 cup of Dr Pepper
2 cups roasted and salted peanuts, shelled
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

Method:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine all the ingredients except for the baking soda in a pot, cook on medium heat and bring to a boil stirring often.

3. When the temperature reaches 290 degrees, remove from heat and stir in soda. Mixture will foam up and double in size.
4. Spread mixture thin on baking sheet using a silicone spatula.
5. When mixture cools and hardens (about half an hour), break into pieces and serve.
Makes 1 1/2 pounds or enough to feed you and a couple of other people.

No comments: