Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Cookies!

This is the first year I have every really gotten into Christmas baking, but I really enjoyed making all my cookies. My friend Melanie came over one night and we baked for hours, accomplishing about half of these. The others were made over my finals week, because I had no finals (lucky me!). I enjoyed taking these to work, to holiday parties, and of course, snacking on them at home!

So this post isn't ridiculously long, I will just link to the recipes I found in other blogs, and will only post the recipes here that are family recipes I used.

Espresso Shortbread (Source: Yum.)
Chocolate Toffee Cookies (Source: Smitten Kitchen)
Mexican Wedding Cookies (Source: A Year in the Kitchen) Not pictured; these got eaten up too fast!


Top to bottom: Peanut Butter cookies with mini PB cups, Chocolate Toffee cookies, and Espresso Shortbread

It was my first time making all of these recipes, all were wonderful, and all will definitely be made again! I especially loved the lemon zest added to the Mexican Wedding cookies, it was so refreshing tasting with all that sugar!

The following 3 recipes are family recipes from my mom:

Sugar Cookies
4 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Cream: Shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring
Mix: Dry ingredients
Add: Dry ingredients to cream mixture
Roll to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Decorate as desired.
Bake 10 minutes.




Gingerbread Men

4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Cream: Shortening, sugar, eggs, and molasses
Mix: Dry ingredients
Add: Dry ingredients to creamed mixture
Roll to 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters.
Bake for about 10 minutes




Peanut Butter Cookies (With Mini PB Cups or Kisses)

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda

Cream: Butter and peanut butter
Add: Egg, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, flour, and baking soda
Roll into 1" balls and put onto a greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes
Immediately press in mini PB cups or kisses (14 oz. bag)
Let cool 10 minutes.

No comments: