Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Low Cholesterol Scalloped Potatoes

I have never made scalloped potatoes and I haven't had them in a long time, so I made this to go along with the crispy yogurt chicken. I have had this recipe saved for a while as a "healthier" recipe to try so I just went for it.



Low Cholesterol Scalloped Potatoes
Source: Spark Recipes

Ingredients:
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
1 onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons low cholesterol margarine
1 1/2 cups skim milk

Directions:
1. Layer potatoes and onions in casserole, sprinkling flour between each layer.
2. Heat milk and margarine and season with salt, pepper, and parsley. Pour sauce over all layers.
3. Bake 1 hour covered at 350 F. Remove cover and bake additional 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.



These turned out pretty good. I overcooked them just a tad so the edges were really dark, but they were nice and moist and flavorful in the middle. I tweaked the recipe a bit since it was only the two of us- I used 1 large baking potato, 1/4 of an onion, and 1 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of margarine for the sauce. The proportions were right on and it could have fed about 4 people as a side dish.

No comments: